Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Avalanche Gulch

Desiree and I took a drive to Avalanche Gulch just off the east shore of Canyon Ferry Reservoir.  As a boy and on into my teens, I hunted deer with my father and grandfather in both Avalanche and Hellgate Gulch.  I have always loved the crazy, steep rock formations and the pines uprighting along the talus slopes and clinging to the jumbled rock upheavals themselves.

We encountered a band of mountain goats just before the mouth of the gulch.   After Desiree captured a video of the goats, we walked a short distance into the canyon on the narrow, icy road leading into the heart of the Big Belt Mountains.  Walking into the canyon I could “feel” the ancient cliffs towering around me in something akin to a sixth sense.  This is a strange but pleasant sensation, one I felt as a boy when entered the canyon, one I crave from time to time.



Mountain Goats



The Flume at Avalanche Gulch



Desiree in the Canyon

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment