Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, June 14, 2021

The Bionic Bluebird Box

Less than a week ago, a magpie murdered the female from a nesting pair in my front yard.  The magpie ambushed her from atop the bird box.  The male vanished following the murder.

Yesterday, another male appeared at the bluebird box.  I watched him hover in front for a few seconds, inspecting.  He then perched on top for a bit, checking out the neighborhood.

The last thing I want is another murder on my hands.

About a month ago, I purchased a new bluebird box after a northern flicker hammered holes it the existing one.  I intended to replace the box then, thinking the nesting pair had abandoned the nest inside, but I soon saw the birds resuming preparations to raise a brood.

Yesterday, after seeing another bluebird showing interest, I decided to replace the nesting box.  But I added some protective features using metal from the soffit I tore apart for the sunroom addition and wood from my window replacement project.

I produced a kind of “bionic” bluebird box.

I extended the roof to prevent ambush attacks from above.  I added metal foils to the face of the box to prevent big birds from grasping the box.

Here’s to hoping it works.


Building the Box



The Final Product

Mitchell Hegman 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michael,
    I hope the Bluebirds think this a good home to raise a family and that your improvements keep them safe. Sometimes, Mother Nature makes my heart hurt.

    Wondering if you might be able to help. I want to start blogging to share my adventures and photos. I signed onto Blogger but am having trouble navigating the set up. Your site is exactly what I looking to create. If you have some I could use a little help. Thx, Terri gertieggumption@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure I can be of much help. I am no set-up wizard by any stretch. Once I got into the set-up I just started poking about and looking at everything I could access. Some of my features may not be available now.

    ReplyDelete