Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Strange Breakfast

Yesterday morning, I discovered something ate a good portion of one of the super-spiny native cactus plants in my yard.

Upon finding the partially consumed cactus, I stood there, staring down at it, dumbfounded.  I can’t touch one of the damned things without crying out in pain.  Eating one is out of the question.  Thing is, a bunch of the cactus was consumed.  Something truly worked at eating it for breakfast.

Who or what can eat a cactus?

I have posted a couple images of the cactus as I found it.  We commonly call this type of cactus a pincushion or ball cactus.   The Montana Field Guide marks them as a spinystar cactus.

Again, who can eat a cactus?

I hopped onboard my computing machine and googled this: “What animal eats cactus?”

Surprisingly, three animals that possibly scurry about my landscape landed on the list: woodrats (known as pack rats in my hometown of East Helena, Montana), jack rabbits, and ground squirrels (referred to as gophers in any bar in Montana).

Not sure which of the three might be responsible, but I am slightly impressed.  That is some delicate work right there.





Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment