Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, June 21, 2021

Thirty Years to Daylight

In June of 1991, I (along with a bunch of great friends) framed the walls of my house.  At the time of construction, my wife and I had plans for a sunroom but the additional cost was beyond our means.

“Tell you what,” I said to my wife, “I’ll frame in a door for future use.  Someday, we will build the sunroom.”

That someday is now.   Yesterday, almost exactly thirty years to the date from when I framed the rough opening for the door to the sunroom, I opened the wall to expose the framing to the first light it has seen in thirty years.

My emotions, as I tore away the drywall, were surprisingly mixed.  As excited as I felt to finally expose the doorway opening, I also found myself saddened that my wife, Uyen, did not witness the daylighting of the phantom door.  She has been gone for ten of the thirty years since we constructed the house.

Sometime in the weeks to come, I will cut all the way through the foam and exterior sheathing and the light from inside my house will directly meet the light from outside.  I will walk through the opening.  And there will be a sunroom.



June 1991 (Framing)



First Light



Fully Revealed



Living Room Now

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment