Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, June 16, 2021

The Gravel Slinger

The concrete slab for my sunroom has been poured in place.  The best part of that was watching the gravel slinger truck shoot a four-inch layer of gravel into the pour area.

The truck arrived early in the morning, rattling my house wholesale as it drew near.  I approached the driver as soon as he dropped down from the cab to assess the job.

“Hope you don’t mind if I watch,” I said after an introduction.

He nodded.  “Not much of a show.”

“Are you kidding.  You have every little boy’s dream job.  You operate a machine that throws rocks.  You’ve gotta love your job.”

He smiled wryly.  “I loved it for the first fifteen minutes.”

We talked as he fired up the conveyer and began slinging gravel into place.  I was instantly impressed with the accuracy of the driver/operator as gravel seemed to magically fill itself into an even layer.  He told me he has been operating slinger rigs for eighteen years.  “Once I was able to operate the controls without looking at them, I was able to place rocks pretty efficiently,” he said.

Posted today are two photographs from the concrete pour and two short videos of the slinger truck.



Ready for the Pour



Concrete in Place


Slinger at Work


Slinger at Work

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment