Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, June 6, 2021

Tar Wars

Tar has always been my enemy.  Roofing tar.  Tar for sealing concrete.  Any kind of tar.  Back in my days on construction sites, if I walked within ten feet of fresh tar, it somehow got all over me.  By the end of the day, both my clothes and my face would be displaying smears of tar.

The rate of smearing on my person greatly increased if I needed to apply tar myself.  I began to referring to any such task as “tar wars.”  And I always lost the battles.

Yesterday, for the very first time in my entire life, I applied some tar on something and walked away unmarked. 

The project was small, but the principles I expressed previously always held—no matter how small the task.  Frankly, I am a little worried that by winning my first battle in the tar wars, I have violated some sacred law of physics. 

Somewhere, somehow…I will pay the price later.

Posted is a photograph of tar I applied to a concrete ledge I wanted to protect from water shed from my soon-to-be sunroom.



Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment