Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Foot Warmer

The other day, some friends came out to our place for a day of ice fishing.  While our friends used an electric auger to drill holes in the ice (now nearly two-feet thick) and set rigs, Desiree and I started a fire in the freestanding cone fireplace at our lakeshore pavilion.

For the next couple hours, Desiree and I fluttered back and forth between the fishermen and the fire.

“My feet are getting cold,” Desiree mentioned at some point when we found ourselves back at the fire.

“Well,” I said, “you can do what we did as kids when we had cold feet around a winter fire.  You can take off your shoes and hold your feet near the fire to warm them.”

As I told Desiree this, my eyes dropped across a scrap length of 2 x 6 wood in my stack of firewood.  “I have a better idea,” I announced.  “I am going to make you a foot warmer.  Take your shoes off.”

While Desiree removed her boots.  I grabbed the length of 2 X 6 and placed it on the edge of the open fireplace to warm.  After only a minute or two, the board absorbed a lot of heat.  I pulled the board from near the fire the and laid it on the ground if front of Desiree.  “Put your feet on the board.  I just made you a warmer.”

Desiree’s face brightened almost the moment she put her feet on the board.  “This feels great!  Super warm!”

I repeated the board warming process two more times and then tried it myself.

The board immediately warmed my feet to the core.  I am thinking I should file for a patent on my warming board.  This is some good stuff!



Warming the Board



Warming a Foot

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment