Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, January 6, 2023

On With the Floor

In the end, the simple things always throw the biggest twist in construction projects.

Yesterday, Desiree and I finally managed to lay down the last of the interlocking floor tiles in our laundry room.  After forcing the final tile into place, I tasked myself with applying edging where the new tile overlays an existing section of floor in the mechanical nook.

That job quickly “went south” on me.

A single length of the metal edging trim was not long enough for the transition.  When I cut the second piece and knelt to install it, I discovered the metal colors (though they were the same product name and number) did not match.

After linking together, a string of inappropriate words, I dropped my tools and drove to town to grab a new, matching length of metal.

That didn’t go well, either.

The store employee selected to help me, displayed far more interest in baby talking to a dog leashed to another customer.  When I finally returned home, I discovered the factory edge on the new metal had been mangled at the time of manufacture.   Rather than lose another hour by running to town to exchange the metal, I hacksawed off the damaged material and carefully filed down the rough edges to make a fresh end of my own.

Though we lost several hours, we finally managed to complete the tile and the metal trim.

I finished with a Cold Smoke beer.


      

Mismatched Metal



Finished Floor



Matched Metal in Place

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment