Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, January 4, 2023

The Replacement

Normally, replacing an ink cartridge in your printer is a fairly straightforward and clean process.  If you are my brother-in-law, Terry, however, things may get unexpectedly complicated.

Yesterday, when I saw Terry, I immediately noticed his hands were stained with conspicuous black splotches.

“What’s on your hands?” I asked.

“Ink.”

“Ink?”

“I changed an ink cartridge in my printer today.”

Terry seems uniquely cursed when dealing with mechanical and electronic contrivances.  If something unusual can go wrong, it likely will.

In the case of the printer, Terry’s first issue was purchasing a grossly inexpensive pack of generic replacement cartridges.  As is often the case with generic replacements, his printer failed to recognize the chip in the cartridge he snapped in the carrier.  When he tried to pry the cartridge out to try another, the cartridge came apart in his hands.

“The ink doesn’t want to wash off my hands,” he laminated.

“It’s pretty good stuff.  You might be a marked man for a while.”

Later in conversation, Terry suggested that we were all on our way to being replaced by robots.  “I don’t think anyone could make a robot to replace you, Terry,” I said.  “You are safe.”



Terry’s Hands After Changing an Ink Cartridge

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment