Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Stuck and Unstuck

I managed to get my car stuck in snow down at my own lakefront the other day.

My car is all-wheel-drive and the snow depth was less than five inches in most places.  Normally, clawing through a little snow is not an issue, but the consistency of the snow tossed everything into treacherous territory.

The snow consisted of three layers: a layer of ice on the bottom, a couple inches of crusted snow in the middle, and a fresh layer of granulized snow on top.  Driving downhill in the midmorning presented no problem at all.  But attempting to drive back up the hill in the late afternoon proved impossible.  The warmer afternoon temperatures more or less unlocked the upper layers of snow, creating a single layer that plowed up in front of the tires in any direction I tried to go.  This found me spinning out on the ice underneath.    

I tried rocking my car back and forth.  My friends tried to push me.  We dug down a clear path to make a running start and repeatedly tried to climb the hill.   Nothing worked.  After twenty minutes of trying, I opted to leave the car at lake overnight and Desiree walked up the hill. 

Early the following morning, Desiree and I hiked down to lake with shovels, hoping to dig out a longer runway.

Temperature is everything in matters of snow.  The colder the temperature the “stickier” and firmer it gets.  As we walked down the hill in the chill of morning, I said: “Desiree, this snow is sticky.  Even the ice is a little sticky.  I think we will be able to drive out.”

Upon reaching the car, we discovered all of the snow we had churned up the afternoon before frozen into a solid mass.  “We’re not even going to dig,” I said.  “Lets just throw the shovels in the car and try to climb out.”

We quickly tossed our shovels in the hatchback and hopped inside the car.  After starting the car and allowing the engine to warm for a few moments, I punched drive and drove up the hill without notable issue.

It’s not often when colder temperatures are your best asset, but there are times.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment