Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Star Stuff (And Other Poetic Nonsense)

We are made of star stuff.  All of us.

We emerged (squirming, I expect) from the dust of comet tails.

The hydrogen in our arms could be,

in another life, Proxima Centauri

or our own Sun.

 

We are star stuff, but soft and dithering.

My family, for example, produced a clutch of hopeless drunks.

Locals claimed my uncle what’s-his-face

had his ass permanently glued to a barstool.

 

Me?  I was afraid of the wind.

The wind, which is nothing.

 

There are times when I am convinced

a rogue asteroid is streaking toward me.

Not you.  Me.

The asteroid is shiny and blue-black and is my first cousin.

It has been given a number instead of a name.

 

I made a strong point of never buying my uncle beers

and I used the word “gravity” as often as possible when talking to him.

For his part, my uncle called attractive young women birds.

Our conversations never really went anywhere important.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment