Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, April 12, 2023

I Wanted to Do the Right Thing (But Nobody Else Did)

While driving in town, I heard a scraping noise coming from the front of my car.  Fearing I might have a problem with my brakes or one of the wheels, I immediately pulled into a parking lot for an inspection.

My car is equipped with a fibrous underbody cover.  Somehow, two screws that secure the cover to the frame had fallen free and part of the front passenger side of the undercover was dragging underneath the car.

Climbing back inside the car I told Desiree what I found.  “It looks like I could just cut the loose piece off with a knife, but I would rather drive to the dealership and fix it properly.” 

We drove across town to the dealership and pulled in to the service department.  I explained the problem to a tech and then added: “If you can’t get at it right away, I’ll just take it home and cut the loose piece off.  But I would like to fasten the cover back in place.”

After visiting with a few mechanics, the tech said he didn’t have a hoist or mechanic available.  “I can call our partner dealership next door and see what they can help.”

“Sure.”

Following a quick call, I drove next door and left the car with service department there.  After waiting in a lounge area for about a half-hour, Desiree and I were led back out the service desk.

The service tech printed out an invoice for thirty dollars and informed me a mechanic had cut the loose piece off with a knife.   

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment