Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, April 29, 2023

Smartphone (The Good Side)

I sometimes chirp about how smartphones have elbowed their way into every facet of our modern lives.  I am especially concerned with how most of us become self-absorbed in fiddling with our phones at the exclusion of old-fashioned human interaction with those around us.

That being said, smartphones have revolutionized the way we share information.    I recently had a personal experience that exemplifies this.

During my youth, I spent too many summers in the sun without using sunblock. As a result of damage from that, I have developed numerous precancerous spots on my skin in recent years.

Several weeks ago, I noticed a conspicuous reddish spot on my right forearm.  After monitoring the spot and not seeing it fade away, I figured I should have my dermatologist take a glance at it.  A call to her office indicated we might do days or weeks of back-and-forth before connecting in person.  The five-minute solution: a photograph sent from my smartphone.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment