Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, April 28, 2023

My Balancing Act

In his famous poem The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, T.S. Eliot offers a bleak and disjointed view of the modern world, one where the quest for meaning and connection is elusive, if not evasive.  Two lines from the poem have always stuck with me:   

“I should have been a pair of ragged claws

Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.”

The lines suggest absolute surrender to the darkest sensibilities.

On a good day, I consider my own lines of hope to replace those penned by Eliot.  I try to insert lines of optimism and imagine how the tone of the poem might be altered.  Today, my lines are these:

“I should have been a white bird

Veering across the brilliant light of an azure sky.”  

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment