Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, April 27, 2023

The Ribcage

On a walk to the lakeshore my path took me near my country neighbor’s back yard and garden plot.  As I sauntered past the garden plot, the stark white bones of a ribcage – posed openly on a patch of tended grass – caught my eyes.

Last fall, while butchering a deer harvested by his son, my country neighbor flung the ribcage out his back door so the local magpies and ravens could feast on the sparse flags of flesh on the bones.

The birds quickly picked the ribs clean and now the sun fully embraces the bones throughout the day.

I suspect such a sight would be range on a scale beginning at conspicuous and ending at scandalous in many places, but around here a second glance is not warranted.    

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment