Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, October 10, 2021

Bristol and the Glove

Yesterday, I drove to my cabin and helped my neighbors, Patrick and Mary, clear dead standing and downed timber from the upper part of their parcel.  Most of timber was lodgepole pine and not particularly large in diameter.  At the same time, the work proved exhausting due to the inclines we worked and the tangles of downed limbs and trees we had to scramble through.

After a couple hours of wrestling logs, we loaded my neighbor’s truck with some of the five-foot lengths we had staged along their road.  We hauled the logs down to their camp near the creek.  The logs will later be cut to smaller lengths for firewood.

We unloaded the truck and then spent a few minutes sipping at Cold Smoke beer and chatting alongside a campfire.

Before I sat near the fire, I peeled off my coat, gloves, and ear protection muffs and piled them on the ground nearby.  Toward the end of our break at the fire, I looked down to my pile of clothing and protective gear and noticed one of my gloves was missing.  Glancing around, I spotted my neighbor’s dog, Bristol, fast asleep on the ground alongside the glove she had lifted from my stuff.

I pointed the dog out to my neighbors and then walked over and snapped a picture.  The dog didn’t so much as twitch.

“I wonder what was in your glove that put her out like that?” my neighbor Patrick teased.

“That’s easy,” I answered.  That glove was filled with hard work today.  Made me tired, too.”



Working the Mountainside



Truckload of Wood



Bristol and My Glove

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment