Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, October 18, 2021

Cabin Crossers

I had two trees near my cabin I call “cabin crossers.”  They are something akin to “Earth crossers” (asteroids with orbits that cross the orbit track of Earth).  In the long run, one or more Earth crossers could collide with Earth.  Cabin crossers might topple against my cabin.

The cabin crossers at my cabin were both sickly and dying Douglas firs with dead tops.  Each of them reached something near 80 or 90 feet above the understory.  One tree leaned heavily in the direction of the cabin.

I and a group of my favorite people spent early Sunday morning at my cabin felling the two trees and cleaning up the aftermath.

My friend Geddy Parker, a man with considerable logging experience, acted as the lead engineer and sawyer.   For the cabin leaner, Geddy attached a rope as high up the tree as he could reach with my extension ladder.  While he made his cuts and pounded wedges, two of us pulled on the rope to direct the tree away from the cabin.

Both trees dropped away from the cabin in a shower of shedding limbs.

After the trees fell, all of us worked together to chop up the trees, pile the limbs and stack the cut lengths for easy access later.

Geddy counted tree rings and found both trees something near 220-years-old.

Though we all worked hard, everyone enjoyed a day in the woods.  After we finished our work, I prepared hot dogs and hamburgers on a campfire. We chatted, laughed, and simply enjoyed being around good people all day.

Thanks, everyone!


 

Assessing the Leaner



The Crew at Work



Examining Tree Rings



End Result

Video of the Second Tree Dropping

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment