Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, October 12, 2021

The Steller’s Jay

Over the last few weeks, while wandering around in the vicinity of my cabin, I heard the distinctive call of a hawk on several occasions.  Each time I heard the call, I scanned the open sky above me but saw nothing.

Over the weekend, while chatting with my neighbors near their campfire not far from my cabin, Patrick told me a Steller’s jay had been regularly hanging around them.  “The jay doesn’t seem to mind us at all,” he added.  “It will land in the trees right alongside us.   The coolest thing is, it makes the call of a hawk now and then.”

I laughed.   “I have been seeing a Steller’s jay and hearing a hawk,” I said.  “That might explain a lot.”

No more than ten minutes after our conversation, the Steller’s jay appeared in a spruce tree about fifteen feet from me.  I watched the bird jump up through the limbs.  Just before flying off to another tree, the jay made the call of a hawk.

Steller’s jays are an interesting study.  They are highly intelligent, bold, and more aggressive than most birds.  Steller’s jays will eat almost anything: insects, berries, seeds, smaller birds, small animals, and they hang around us because they crave our table scraps.  Most interestingly, Steller’s jays are known to mimic the sounds of other birds and animals around them.   When threatened, they may imitate the calls of owls, hawks and even domestic cats.  Steller’s jays are found within in the forests of the Rocky Mountains.  I see them fairly often at my cabin. 


    

Steller’s Jay

Hawk’s Call Video

Mitchell Hegman

Photo: Dillon Hanson/USFWS

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyZZAD4tWDk

No comments:

Post a Comment