Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, October 24, 2021

One-Hundred Leaves

Thanks to our advance into autumn, the chokecherry bush at the front of my garage has been whittled down to the last one-hundred or so yellow leaves.  I started to get an accurate count, but opted out when one of the leaves fell even as I was counting.

I am struck only now, as I write this, by the peculiarity of counting the number of leaves remaining on a bush.

I plead guilty to being peculiar.

At the same time, I treat animals with respect.  I regularly scrub my toilet and shake my throw rugs.  And I try to make allowances for the mistakes of others as readily as I make them for myself.

I stood near the chokecherry for a time, waiting to see if another leaf or two might detach and flutter to the ground.

The leaves all held in place.

At some point in the not-so-distant future, the last chokecherry leaf will fall from the bush and skitter off to become the landscape at large.  Only then will I watch for the lake to freeze.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment