Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Beamed Down to a Strange Planet

Waking during the middle of the night is sometimes like finding yourself beamed down to a strange planet.  A wholly dark and oddly quiet place.

Last night, rousing well after midnight and in a stupor, I could not find my bearings at all as climbed from bed and set forth.  Staggering about, I fought against what seemed double gravity.  With my arms outstretched against the black of night, I threaded through an array of dark shapes hovering around me.  Doors in the wrong places.  Walls rising up against me.

And a stray thought suddenly surfaced as I soldiered on: Why didn’t I like broccoli as a kid, considering how much I crave it now?

After indeterminable wanderings in the darkness, a familiar shape (something gray as opposed to black) appeared before me.

This shape I knew!

Happy to a point of delirium, I stumbled against the shape.  Once there, I blithely sprayed the wall, the floor, the seat, until finally correcting and delivering a steady stream into the toilet.  Lovely and satisfying, this known place in a dark and untamed universe.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment