Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, October 17, 2021

The Large and Freaky Spider

If you have known me for more than, say, fifteen minutes, you understand that I don’t like spiders. In my book, they are about as creepy as a thing can be.

At the same time, I have taken something of an uneasy comfort in knowing that our big ugly spiders don’t jump.

Granted, there are jumping spiders.  We have them here in Montana.  For some reason jumping spiders have never given me the creeps.  Jumping spiders tend to be small, have short legs, and big button eyes.  They don’t look quite as spidery to me.  And their jumping somehow makes them even less spidery.

I read somewhere that some jumping spiders can leap two feet in distance.  That’s a grasshopper right there.

Anyhoo, a really ugly thing happened yesterday.  In the early evening, I stepped into my laundry room to grab something.  I took only one step before spotting, on the floor near my feet, a really big, long-legged, hairy spider with enormous boxing gloves (palps) held out for a fight.  The spider saw me at the same time and jumped.

Listen to what I am saying: “The big creepy spider jumped up into the air.”

I don’t want to say I panicked…

Okay, I panicked.

I tore off my shirt, threw it down over the spider, wadded up the spider, and then ran to the back door and flung my shirt off the back deck.

I’ll retrieve my shirt again sometime next year.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment