Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, October 8, 2021

Chaos Stone

As I have mentioned before, my house rests on shoulders of material washed down from the surrounding mountain ranges by ancient waters.  We find an astounding variety of rocks in this terrain.  Some collected specimens are strikingly (if not astoundingly) colorful.

We have one type of rock, usually found in stones larger than a loaf of bread, that is comprised of contrasting swirls and patches of color ranging from yellow to deep purple. 

While a fellow rock hound (and owner of a nearby sapphire mine) was visiting my house, he spotted a few of these colorful stones I placed alongside my front walk.  “I get that stuff at my mine,” he said.  “I call in chaos stone.”

“I like that,” I responded.  “That name fits for sure!”

Posted are images of a smaller specimen of chaos stone I pried from the surface of our road a couple years ago.  This particular stone looks as if tie-dyed.


Chaos Stone

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment