Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, October 4, 2021

Crying in the Ravine

Something in the predawn brought to life coyotes in the ravine below my house.  A half-dozen or more of them erupted into a chorus of howls, yips, and cries.

The howling of the coyotes immediately drew me outside to the back deck.  I have not heard them like this in more than twenty years.  When I first moved out here to the country, I was surrounded by coyotes.  At night, they cried out whenever a low-flying plane overflew them.

I stood under a full canopy of stars trying to understand what the coyotes were saying.  The coyote song is ancient, but I still fail to fully comprehend it.

While the cries of so many coyotes in shrill refrain might frighten some people, I found myself in perfect calm.  I have no immediate beef with coyotes.  I listened to the chorus of cries until the coyotes, one by one, lapsed into silence.

This is where I live—a calm place between coyotes crying in the ravine below me and the unwavering gallery of stars above me.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment