Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, October 29, 2021

Conversation With My 20 Pounds of Housecat

After chasing a mouse around my den, I watched it dart from that room and zip into the nearby laundry room.  I poked around the laundry room for no more than a minute.  There were far too many hiding places in there for me to cover.

After giving up on the chase, I found my 20 pounds of housecat in the kitchen.  Following is my conversation with him:

ME: Splash, there is a mouse in the house.  It ran into the laundry room and is now hiding in there.  That’s where your food is, buddy.  Do the math on that.

CAT:  --

ME: You’re going to help me corner the mouse, right?

CAT:  --

ME: It’s a mouse.  You’re a cat.  You can trot in there and do your thing.

CAT:  --

ME: Mice are small, but they eat a lot, Splash.  And they spend all day eating.  You spend all of your day sleeping.  Are you seeing the problem here?

CAT:  --

ME: Okay.  I’ve got this.

Two hours later, after setting out four live traps, I found myself walking a mouse out onto the edge of the prairie for release in the juniper and sagebrush.

My cat, meanwhile, was napping.



Splash

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment